Monday 23 October 2017

Homeless deaf man jailed for killing man by knocking him under bus

Edward Connors (inset right) was found guilty of the manslaughter of Eoghan Dudley (inset left), who died after being knocked under a bus
Edward Connors (inset right) was found guilty of the manslaughter of Eoghan Dudley (inset left), who died after being knocked under a bus
Eoghan Dudley
Edward Connors

Conor Gallagher

A deaf speech-impaired man has been sentenced to seven years in prison for killing an acquaintance by knocking him under a bus.

Judge Patrick McCartan said he had no choice but to imprison Edward Connors (30) as he was a "serious danger to society".

A Dublin Circuit Criminal Court jury previously found Connors guilty following an eight-day manslaughter trial.

Connors had pleaded not guilty to unlawfully killing Eoghan Dudley (28).

Mr Dudley died almost instantly from "catastrophic and traumatic injuries" after falling under the left rear wheel of the bus on Dawson Street during rush hour traffic on December 6, 2012.

Judge McCartan previously requested Connors be assessed for rehabilitation services in the UK. The court had heard that there were no specific rehabilitation services for deaf people in Ireland. Judge McCartan said homeless Connors "cannot but be described as a victim" in this case, as he was deaf since childhood and grew up in an environment where there was no opportunity for learning.

He also commented that Connors was at serious risk of re-offending as the 30-year-old's past was peppered with "acts of aggression, violence and a single significant loss of life".

Connors, of no fixed abode and formerly of Bearna Park, Sandyford, admitted interacting with the deceased but claimed that what looked like a punch on CCTV footage was actually him trying to grab Mr Dudley to stop him falling off the path and going under the bus.

Previously Dr Brendan Thomas Monteiro, Consultant Psychiatrist in the field of Mental Health and Deafness, had said that there was a facility in the UK suitable for treating Connors.

Judge McCartan ordered a further assessment to establish if Connors is a suitable candidate for this facility.

Defence counsel Oisín Clarke BL later told Judge McCartan that Connors was unable to be assessed for treatment in the UK due to legal issues and that funding from the State was not available for his rehabilitation.

Connors has refused to accept the guilty verdict, and maintains he is not responsible for the death of Mr Dudley.

Irish Independent

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News