High Court injunction by INM executive adjourned until June
INJUNCTION proceedings brought by an executive with Independent News and Media plc (INM) seeking to prevent his dismissal were adjourned today.
Karl Brophy, director of corporate affairs and content development at INM, sought a High Court order last Friday to prevent him being dismissed. This was refused by the court, but an injunction was granted
restraining INM from acting further on its decision of May 8, to terminate his employment, until the case returned before the court.
When the case was called today, the court heard it had been agreed to adjourn the matter until June, with a request for a trial date on
October 18 when the case is expected to take six days to hear.
Mr Justice Roderick Murphy was also told by Brian O'Moore SC, for INM, that the action was "somewhat speculative and pointless".
Oisin Quinn SC, for Mr Brophy said terms had been agreed between the parties on what way the case should proceed.
Mr Quinn said it was agreed that Mr Brophy should deliver his statement
of claim by May 23 with a defence to be delivered by June 6.
Further terms for exchanges of letters and matters of voluntary discovery were also agreed and the case could be mentioned again before the court on June 28.
In the meantime, orders granted last Friday by the High Court are to continue to October 18 without prejudice to the defendant's position.
The orders include that no further steps being taken in relation to the decision to dismiss and that INM would not release confidential information concerning his employment.