Monday 11 December 2017

High Court application by GOAL boss John O’Shea due to be heard on Thursday

GOAL founder John O'Shea
GOAL founder John O'Shea

THE High Court has fixed next Thursday as the hearing date of an application by GOAL CEO John O'Shea for an interlocutory injunction restraining the board of Goal from taking any steps to suspend or remove him from his position.

However, Mr O'Shea's application for a semi-permanent, or interlocutory, injunction which would be in place pending the full hearing of his action, is unlikely to be heard before the end of July when the courts go on a two month break.

Mr O'Shea, who founded the organisation 35 years ago, has brought the High Court proceedings against Goal's board claims steps are being taken to remove him.

He obtained a temporary injunction preventing the board from doing so. That temporary order, granted earlier this month, was lifted following agreement between the parties.

The application came back before Ms Justice Mary Laffoy today who was asked by Paul McGarry SC, for Mr O'Shea, to fix this Thursday as the hearing date of his client's application for an interlocutory injunction.

Counsel said that his side were aware that there may not be a judge available to hear the case, but were "willing to take their chances," in the hope that a judge might become available.

Patrick Hanratty SC, for Goal, said there was "some origins" in the matter and that his client wanted the case heard before the courts break for a two month holiday at the end of July.

Ms Justice Laffoy, in agreeing to adjourn the matter to Thursday, expressed the view that it was unlikely that the matter would be heard before the end of July. The High Court lists are "choc-a-bloc" between now and the end of term, the Judge added.

When the case was before the court last week Ms Justice Laffoy was told the parties were "making progress" in talks and the matter could be adjourned until today.

Previously, the court heard there appeared to be a "personality clash" between Goal chairman Pat O'Mahony and Mr O'Shea who had been told not to attend a board meeting of the agency nearly two weeks ago when a vote to suspend Mr O'Shea was defeated by six votes to five.

Mr O'Shea then brought his High Court proceedings fearing an effort to suspend might be made at another board meeting scheduled for Tuesday week last.

He got a temporary injunction preventing that meeting from dealing with his position claiming there was a concerted effort to remove him.

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News