Saturday 24 August 2019

High Court action between manager and Sinead O'Connor has been settled, court told

High Court action between manager and Sinead O'Connor has been settled, court told
High Court action between manager and Sinead O'Connor has been settled, court told

Tim Healy

A High Court action in which singer Sinead O'Connor's former manager sought half a million euro in damages over an alleged termination of a management contract has been settled.

Fachtna O'Ceallaigh and his company, TAL Management, sued Ms O'Connor over the ending of their management agreement and over an alleged defamatory letter published on her website.

Ms O'Connor denied she ever had an agreement with TAL or Mr O'Ceallaigh as alleged. She also denied defamation or that he or the company were entitled to damages.

The hearing of the actions was due to commence on Wednesday and was expected to last four days.

Following talks between the parties, John Gordon SC, for Mr O'Ceallaigh and TAL Management, told Ms Justice Aileen Donnelly the time had been "well spent" and all matters had been resolved.

As part of the settlement, Jim O'Callaghan SC, for Ms O'Connor, read an agreed statement to the court.

It said that "the parties are pleased to confirm that they have amicably resolved the differences between them in these proceedings."

"They thank each other for their work together and wish each other well for the future".

No further details of the settlement agreement were given in court.

Ms Justice Donnelly welcomed the resolution of the dispute.

She agreed to adjourn the matter to November to allow for the implementation of the settlement. 

Ms O'Connor was not present in court.

In the proceedings, Mr Ceallaigh and TAL Management claimed the firm provided managerial services to the singer for several years for an agreed monthly fee plus commission and expenses.

In 2011, he claimed the company was substituted for him under a new agreement.

While the agreement was not executed, it was claimed the parties performed the terms of the new agreement.

It was alleged that In April 2012 that without warning the singer terminated the agreement.

It was claimed she was not entitled to do so.  The plaintiffs sought upwards of €500,000 damages for breach of contract, as well as a declaration that the management agreement was not validly terminated. 

Mr O'Cealliagh of Lansdowne Park, Ballsbridge, Dublin, also claimed he was defamed by the singer in an open letter published on her website and on a fans' website in 2012, in reply to a newspaper article that referred to the ending of their commercial relationship.

The claims were denied.

Online Editors

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News