Friday 17 November 2017

Hickey stays silent as he arrives at Rio court

Pat Hickey arrives for the court hearing in Rio de Janeiro. The 71-year-old was arrested in August. Photo: Fabio Teixeira
Pat Hickey arrives for the court hearing in Rio de Janeiro. The 71-year-old was arrested in August. Photo: Fabio Teixeira

Matt Sandy

Former OCI president Patrick Hickey remained silent as he arrived at a court in Rio de Janeiro yesterday to register as part of his bail conditions.

The 71-year-old must report to the authorities on the 20th day of every month to "justify his activities" while he responds to charges relating to this summer's Rio Olympics ticket touting scandal.

No court hearing has been set for the case against him and fellow Irishman Kevin James Mallon, both of whom were first arrested by police during the Olympic Games in August.

He and the THG director are facing charges of ticket-touting, illicit marketing and money-laundering in Brazil.

Both deny all allegations made against them in relation to ticketing at the event.

Mr Hickey previously said in a statement to the Irish Independent that he was completely innocent of all charges formally laid against him in Rio, and intended to fight "each and every one of them".

"I am completely innocent of all such charges and I will also vigorously defend my good name and character," he said.

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News