Tuesday 17 July 2018

Hearing over costs in RTE defamation case brought by Nicky Kehoe to be heard next month

Sinn Féin’s Nicky Kehoe leaving the High Court
Sinn Féin’s Nicky Kehoe leaving the High Court

Tim Healy

The hearing of arguments over legal costs in the defamation case brought against RTE by Sinn Féin political manager, Nicky Kehoe, will be heard next month.

Last month, Mr Kehoe, a former IRA gunman, was awarded €3,500 against RTE over a "Saturday with Clare Byrne" radio broadcast in October 2015.

A  High Court jury made an overall award of €10,000 for the defamatory comment made by former TD Joe Costello on the show in which he (Costello) said Mr Kehoe was a former IRA chief of staff directing SF members of Dublin City Council how to vote.   

The jury found the national broadcaster was 35 per cent liable for the defamation while Mr Costello was 65pc at fault.  However, as Mr Kehoe did not sue Mr Costello, there was no judgment against him.

The jury found the broadcast was defamatory because it meant he was not a fit person to be involved in the democratic process.

The case was adjourned to today to deal with costs.  

Cian Ferriter SC, for RTE, told Mr Justice Bernard Barton the matter would take about an hour to hear and the judge agreed to adjourn it to April 16.

Online Editors

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News