Gastric bypass patient died after surgery
A WOMAN who underwent gastric bypass weight-loss surgery died in hospital after suffering several complications including blood poisoning, an inquest was told yesterday.
Annette Capocci (46) of Charlemont, Griffith Avenue, Dublin 9, was admitted to Beaumont Hospital on May 21 2007 where she chose to have the gastric bypass operation the following day for the management of obesity. Mrs Capocci, who weighed 148kg at the time of the surgery and had a body mass index of 53kg per metre squared, had been obese for almost all of her life and had tried conventional methods to reduce her weight but with little success.
She was very anxious for the surgery to be conducted, Dublin City Coroner's Court was told.
Mrs Capocci, who had a number of health problems including diabetes, high blood pressure and asthma, suffered a number of post-operative complications which included numbness in her legs and an abdominal wound infection.
The most significant complication, however, was the development of a sacral pressure sore. This lead to an ulcer with significant contamination by MRSA, VRE and e-coli.
Despite intensive treatment with antibiotics and anti-fungal medication, Mrs Capocci's condition deteriorated and she died on August 26 2007.
The cause of her death was multi-organ failure with septicaemia (blood poisoning) secondary to a large sacral pressure ulcer following elective gastric bypass surgery, the inquest heard.
The coroner, Dr Brian Farrell, recorded a narrative verdict and expressed his condolences to Mrs Capocci's family.
A spokesman for Beaumont declined to respond to the ruling, saying it was the hospital's policy not to comment on specific cases.