Friday 23 February 2018

Gang attack youth has sentence adjourned

Tom Tuite

A YOUTH, who took part in an unprovoked gang attack on a 17-year-old boy in Dublin city-centre last year has had his sentencing adjourned for him to sort out his anger-management problem.

The attack on July 9 last year came after a teenage girl had already been beaten with a glass bottle by another girl who had been with three youths, the Dublin Children's Court was told.

The three youths, a 17 year-old and two brothers aged 16 and 17, had been at the Central Bank Plaza and then attacked the boy.

The three pleaded guilty earlier to assault charges and Garda Kevin Cassidy had said each youth punched the boy in the face during the attack which was captured on CCTV.

The two brothers are due back in court in October for sentencing. Their teenage co-accused appeared again at the Children's Court today where Judge Clare Leonard was furnished with a probation report. Defence solicitor Michelle Finan said the report showed that a number of issues needed to be addressed, one of them was anger-management and the teenager “was aware of that”.

Judge Leonard adjourned sentencing and remanded the boy, who was accompanied to his hearing by a relative, on continuing bail to appear again in October for an updated probation report to be prepared.

Earlier, the court had been told that the youth had gone through a turbulent period at the time of the attack but has settled down. “Drink was involved,” his lawyer also said adding that he had no prior criminal convictions.

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News