Sunday 18 March 2018

Further charges due over alleged rape of teen

(Stock photo)
(Stock photo)

Tom Tuite

Gardai are looking to have further charges brought against a 24-year-old man accused of rape and false imprisonment of a Spanish student in Dublin, a court has heard.

The young woman, aged 18, had just come to Ireland in recent months to live with a host family.

She had been in Dublin on July 15 when she was allegedly brought to waste ground in the city's south side and raped.

The accused, who cannot be named for legal reasons, is charged with rape, false imprisonment and threat to kill or cause serious harm to the woman at the Irish Glass Bottle site, in Ringsend.

The man, who was described by his lawyer as having a significant history of mental problems, made no bail application at his first hearing on July 21 last.

At that hearing, Detective Garda Bryan Hunt said: "The Director of Public Prosecution (DPP) has directed trial on indictment on all three matters."

The accused faced his third hearing yesterday when he appeared before Judge Kathryn Hutton, at Cloverhill District Court. Det Gda Hunt asked for the case to be adjourned for four weeks "for further charges" and he added that a file is to be submitted to the DPP.

Defence barrister Aoife O'Halloran took instructions from her client in court and then told the judge that there was consent to the four-week adjournment.

The man, who was wearing a grey tracksuit, spoke once during the hearing to confirm that he wanted to appear in person rather than via videolink at his next hearing.

Judge Hutton was told that the man "is in custody by consent".

At his first hearing last month, the court directed a psychiatric assessment following a request by his solicitor.

The basis for the application was concerns raised by the defence for his mental well-being. His solicitor had said the man "does have a significant history" and had medical reports on him.

The defence solicitor had said given the seriousness of the charge, and the fact his client is in receipt of a social welfare payment, he was making an application for legal aid, which was also granted.

The accused had been originally arrested on July 17, two days after the alleged rape, but he was released without charge the following day. However, he was re-arrested for the purpose of being charged on July 21 last and has been in custody on remand since then.

Irish Independent

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News