Tuesday 28 January 2020

Former Shamrock Rovers player who claims he has chronic pain after fall at indoor football sues community association

File photo: Former Shamrock Rovers midfielder Stephen Wilkie pictured in 2010.
File photo: Former Shamrock Rovers midfielder Stephen Wilkie pictured in 2010.

Tim Healy

A FORMER Shamrock Rovers player who has claimed he slipped on water and injured his leg while playing indoor football has sued a community association.

Former midfielder Stephen Wilkie (37) told the High Court his pain levels were "through the roof" after the fall seven years ago.  He now has stabbing deep pain which “hurts like hell.”

In the fall, the father of three fractured his lower leg and later had to have operations.

His case includes a claim for several hundred thousands of euros for future care, as well as for aids and appliances.

Opening the case, Mr Wilkie’s counsel Oonagh McCrann said he now suffers from chronic regional pain syndrome and has a constant burning pain in his lower left leg.

Mr Wilkie of Cushlawn Dale, Killinarden Tallaght, Dublin, has sued Tymon Bawn Community Association Ltd with offices at Firhouse Road West, Tallaght, owners of the Tymon Bawn Community Centre, Firhouse Road West, Tallaght, as a result of the fall on July 23, 2009.

He has claimed he was allowed to play football at the centre when it out to have been known that it posed a risk or a danger to him.

He has further claimed he was caused to fall because there was liquid on the floor.

Prior to the accident, it is claimed Mr Wilkie was a very fit person and an avid kickboxer.

The defendant denies all the claims.  It contends there was contributory negligence on the part of Mr Wilkie  who, it is claimed, fell in a clash with another player.

In evidence, Mr Wilkie  said  in the weeks prior to the accident there was scaffolding around the community centre and men were working on the roof.

He said it was lashing rain on the night of the accident and five of them were playing football.

He said the floor was shiny and looked polished. He was wearing indoor football shoes and they had been playing for about 20 minutes when he slipped.

He heard two cracks as he fell and was in a lot of pain.

He was helped by the other players and later taken to hospital.

“I slipped on water. My shorts and football socks were wet,” he said.

He spent two weeks in hospital and had to have operations but has been left with pain.

“I had the good life; it was like somebody flicked the switch,” he said.

He said since the accident he does not take so much interest in football.

He would love to get back to work and used to work as a van driver but is now on 25 tablets a day.

The case resumes on Tuesday.

Online Editors

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News