| 19°C Dublin

Former school principal to be sentenced over the 'repeated' abuse of pupils

Close

(stock photo)

(stock photo)

(stock photo)

A child-sex abuse victim of a former school principal has said he had no idea his abuser was attacking other boys in the school.

After a trial at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court last March, Patrick Harte (78) was convicted of 11 counts of indecently assaulting seven pupils at the Sancta Maria Christian Brothers primary school on Synge Street, Dublin, between September 1968 and September 1970.

At yesterday's sentencing hearing, the court heard that when gardaí put the victims' allegations to Harte in 2015, the former teacher claimed of "a vendetta against him".

Harte, of Glendown Park, Templeogue, Dublin, had denied the charges and in a speech to the court he claimed that the State had "validated" his teaching at the time and could not now "invalidate it".

The court heard that Harte repeatedly and continuously molested the children amidst an atmosphere in his class of severe corporal punishment and verbal abuse.

Harte was due to be sentenced on two occasions earlier this week.

On Monday, Judge Nolan denied a defence application to adjourn the case for two months because of Harte's risk of getting Covid-19.

On Tuesday, Harte failed to show up and his legal team told the court he had gone into hospital with cardiac issues.

Judge Nolan remanded Harte in custody and adjourned sentencing to today.

Daily Digest Newsletter

Get ahead of the day with the morning headlines at 7.30am and Fionnán Sheahan's exclusive take on the day's news every afternoon, with our free daily newsletter.

This field is required


Most Watched





Privacy