Wednesday 25 April 2018

Former Fine Gael TD convicted of assault with a broken glass

Former Dáil deputy Seán Conlan has been found guilty of assault with a broken pint glass. Photo: Tom Burke
Former Dáil deputy Seán Conlan has been found guilty of assault with a broken pint glass. Photo: Tom Burke

Patsy McArdle

A former Fine Gael TD has been found guilty of assault with a broken pint glass.

Former Dáil deputy Seán Conlan (42), who resigned from Fine Gael prior to the General Election, appeared before Monaghan District Court yesterday.

The court heard the charges related to an incident in a pub in Ballybay on August 23 last year.

Conlan, of Main Street, Ballybay, Co Monaghan, was charged under section 11 of the Firearms Act with the production of an article capable of inflicting serious injury and also with unlawfully assaulting and causing harm to Enda Duffy of Annahia, Ballybay.

The case opened before Judge Conal Gibbons with an application by counsel, which was granted by the judge, requiring all witnesses to remain outside the courtroom while the evidence of each witness was being heard.

Garda Niall Brady presented three books of photographs taken in the bar where the alleged assault took place as well as pictures of an arm injury which the alleged victim claimed he sustained when struck by Conlan with a broken glass.

Mr Duffy told the court that after visiting a GAA social centre and another pub in Ballybay on the date in question he went to Conlan's pub where his brother and some other friends were drinking.

He said there was some banter in the bar with references made about the Arts Minister, Heather Humphreys - another Fine Gael TD based in Cavan/Monaghan.

The court heard that after a short time Conlan repeatedly asked Mr Duffy his name, but he refused to give it. Conlan then put his face against Mr Duffy's, touching the witness's nose twice.

He claimed Conlan then smashed a pint glass on the counter and struck him with the broken glass on the arm.

He said he was later treated by a doctor. He also told the court he received no other injury although he agreed in cross-examination that he had claimed, in an earlier statement to gardaí, that he suffered concussion.

He admitted he had "made a mistake" in using that term.

Peadar McNally, manager of the bar, said he managed to get Conlan out of the premises after the incident, while others were held back.

Counsel for Mr Conlan told Judge Gibbons it was not proposed to call any evidence on behalf of the accused, who was pleading not guilty.

Judge Gibbons said he was convicting Conlan on both charges. He accepted, however, the case arose from circumstances in which alcohol was a factor involving both parties.

Mr Conlan left Fine Gael after criticising Enda Kenny. Hestood as an Independent in the election, but failed to retain his seat.

Irish Independent

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News