Monday 19 February 2018

Five in court after four gardaí beaten in separate attacks over Easter weekend

(Stock photo)
(Stock photo)

Robin Schiller and Tom Shiels

Five men have appeared in court charged with separate incidents in which four gardaí were hospitalised.

The attacks, which occurred within 24 hours in Co Mayo and Co Dublin, left two male and two female officers with injuries.

In the early hours of yesterday a female garda and a male garda sergeant attended a call-out in Aylward Green, Finglas, Dublin, when they were set upon by a group. One of the men in the group assaulted both gardaí during the incident.

"They called for back-up and a number of Garda units went to the scene to assist them," a Garda spokesperson said.

The female officer suffered a fractured wrist while the male sergeant is being treated or a suspected fractured jaw.

Two men in their 20s were arrested in connection with the incident. Lee Maguire (28) and Thomas Donoghue (25), both from Finglas, appeared before Dublin District Court yesterday morning charged with public order offences. A file will also be prepared for the DPP in relation to the alleged assault.

The two injured officers were taken to Connolly Hospital in Blanchardstown and the female garda has since been discharged.

Lord Mayor of Dublin Brendan Carr appealed for anyone with information in relation to the incident to contact gardaí, while wishing the two injured members a speedy recovery.


"I strongly condemn the attack on two members of An Garda Síochána which occurred in the Finglas area last night. I would like to pass on best wishes on behalf of the people of Dublin to the two gardaí and wish them a full and speedy recovery," he said.

"While I accept that the public may have concerns in relation to some ongoing issues within the gardaí, the ordinary men and women who are working on the streets to protect us all are doing a great job in some very difficult circumstances."

Separately, three Lithuanian nationals have been charged in relation to a Co Mayo assault which resulted in two gardaí being hospitalised.

The assault on the male garda, who was accompanied by a female officer, occurred at Station Road, Claremorris, Co Mayo, in the early hours of Easter Sunday. Both gardaí received medical treatment at Mayo University Hospital, Castlebar. They have now been released from hospital.

Three men arrested following the incident appeared before Judge Mary Devins at a special court sitting in Ballina yesterday morning charged with assault causing harm.

The men, all with addresses in Claremorris, are Krits Kiepis (18), of Grattan Close, Karolis Astruskzs (21), of Chapel Court, and Elvis Vitolins (22), also of Chapel Court.

All three were remanded in custody on the application of Supt Joe Doherty for consideration by the DPP.

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News