Friday 19 January 2018

Firearms residue discovered inside car that gardai suspect of being used in alleged gang murder, court hears

The Criminal Courts of Justice in Dublin
The Criminal Courts of Justice in Dublin

Eoin Reynolds

Scientists discovered firearms residue inside a car that gardai suspect of being used in an alleged gang murder, a Central Criminal Court trial heard today.

Gary Flynn (31), of Rossfield Drive in Tallaght has pleaded not guilty to the murder of Seamus 'Shay' O'Byrne at Tymon Park North in Tallaght on March 13, 2009.

Speaking to prosecuting counsel Alex Owens SC, Dr Thomas Hannigan of the Forensic Science Laboratory said he tested samples taken from inside two cars suspected of being used by the gang to get to and from the scene of the shooting.

One was a Nissan Primera, which the prosecution claims Mr Flynn was traveling in. The other car was a Volkswagen Passat. Dr Hannigan said the samples from the Primera showed no firearms residue, whereas the seatbelt, driver's cockpit, and driver's door of the Volkswagen all tested positive.

He agreed with defending counsel Giollaiosa O'Lideadha that his conclusion was that whoever discharged the firearm left the scene in the Passat rather than the Primera or any other vehicle.

Garda Terence Toal of the National Bureau of Criminal Investigation told the court that he found fingerprints relating to Mr Flynn and another suspect named Eugene Cullen on two items taken from vehicles suspected to be involved in the shooting.

He told Mr Owens that he matched Mr Flynn's right hand thumb print to a sample lifted from the interior passenger door of the Primera.

The court earlier heard that gardai reenacted the movements of the alleged gang on the day of the shooting. Detective Garda Camon Ryan told prosecuting counsel Alex Owens SC that in January 2011 he drove from the scene of the shooting in Tymon Park, Tallaght to Leisureplex in Coolock. Detective Garda Brian McGrath has previously given evidence that three of the suspects, including Mr  Flynn, were caught on CCTV at Leisureplex shortly after the shooting.

Det Gda Ryan said it took him 26 minutes to travel the 29.7 kilometre journey without breaking any speed limits.

The trial continues before Justice Patrick McCarthy and a jury of nine men and three women tomorrow.

Online Editors

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News