Monday 22 January 2018

Feud victim shot as he fled through his home

Member of rival faction attacked an hour later

Tom Brady and Michael McHale

A MAN who was shot in the hand and leg as he was chased through his house yesterday is the latest victim in an inner-city feud that has so far claimed four lives.

Less than an hour after the shooting, a member of the opposing faction was attacked in his home and left unconscious.

Both men were recovering from their injuries in hospital last night.

Gardai are satisfied that the two incidents are linked to a vicious Dublin north city gang war that stemmed from a row that erupted among former friends after notorious criminal Christy Griffin was accused of the rape of his partner's daughter.

Griffin (40), from Ridgewood Green, Swords, Co Dublin, but originally from the north inner city, was subsequently convicted of 11 counts of rape between 1993 and 2001 and was jailed for life.

The victim was aged between eight and 16 when the abuse took place.

The Court of Criminal Appeal yesterday ruled against allowing Griffin to take his case to the Supreme Court on two points of "exceptional public importance".

Three hours before the case came up in court, a friend of Griffin was shot at his home in Boroimhe, Cedars, Swords.

The victim, who is in his early 30s and a father of one, had left his home earlier but returned at around 8.10am.

As he was walking into the house, he was rushed by a gunman who fired six shots from a handgun. One of the shots hit the victim in the hand and he was struck by a ricochet bullet in the leg.

Despite his injuries, the victim ran into his back garden, jumped a fence and escaped through neighbours' gardens as the gunman fled the scene in a car.

The victim's partner, who was in the house at the time of the shooting, was not injured.

The wounded man was taken to Beaumont Hospital while the house was sealed off for a garda technical examination.


Shortly before 9am a man linked to the rival faction in the feud was attacked in his home in Sheriff Street by two men, who punched and kicked him. He was left unconscious on the ground as his two attackers made their getaway.

Three men, aged 55, 32 and 19, were later arrested for questioning about the assault with one subsequently released without charge last night. The other two were being held at Store Street station under section 4 of the Criminal Justice Act.

The 41-year-old victim was treated for a broken collar bone and ribs and other injuries but was discharged from the Mater Hospital last night.

Last July, Stephen 'Madser' Byrne became the fourth fatality in the feud when he was shot in the head and chest near the junction of Sheriff Street and St Laurence O'Toole Place.

Byrne was the prime suspect for the murder of Stephen Ledden, who was shot dead as he slept on a couch in a house at Oriel Street in the inner city on December 27, 2006.

Ledden had been shot dead by mistake as retaliation for the murder two weeks earlier of Gerard 'Batt' Byrne, who was gunned down in the Irish Financial Services Centre.

The third victim, Anthony Russell, was shot dead in the Ardlea Inn in Artane in April 2008.

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News