Friday 24 January 2020

Fear is keeping vicious killers from facing justice, inquest told

Fergus Black and Georgina O'Halloran

IT'S the stuff of gangster movies. Terrified customers dive for cover as one of two gunmen chases his target through a crowded pub, his victim falling bleeding to the floor as the whole scene is captured on CCTV.

A young woman out for a drive with a man she only met three days previously screams in horror as gunmen fire through the car window, hitting him in the neck and shoulder.

Years after both young men were brutally gunned down in separate murders in Dublin, their killers remain at large, inquests into their deaths were told yesterday.

Retired detective Inspector Brian Sherry, who investigated both murders, spoke of a climate in which people were afraid to come forward with information.

Bernard Sugg, of Corduff Place, Blanchardstown, Dublin, was 24 when he was shot dead in the Brookwood Inn pub on Sunday, August 17, 2003.

Mr Sherry said his brutal killing was captured on the pub's CCTV. It showed three men in balaclavas entering the pub, which was crowed with 100 to 150 people.

As the gunmen opened fire, the grisly footage showed the victim trying to escape by running through the pub towards an exit with one of his killers pursing him, firing at him as he fled.

The detective said people could be seen diving for cover, taking refuge wherever they could. Mr Sugg was hit twice in the chest and gardai later recovered nine spent 9mm cartridges on the pub floor.

"No persons were arrested in relation to this. The investigation is still alive," said Mr Sherry. "There were a variety of suspects in this murder and, without going into too much detail, one of those suspects is very much alive."

In the second case, Andrew Glennon (30), of Fortlawn Drive, Clonsilla, Dublin, was shot four times by four gunmen on April 30, 2005.

Susan Paget, from Kippure Park, Finglas, Dublin, who was 18 at the time, said she had only met Mr Glennon three days previously.

He asked her to go for a drive at 4am on the day he was killed at Huntstown Wood near Blanchardstown. He told her he had to meet a man called 'Marro' and he got out of a car and walked through a gap. Then she saw four men in balaclavas walking towards him and two of them were holding guns. Andrew ran back and jumped into the car, trying to put it in gear and turn it around.

"He got shot through the window. He got shot in the neck. He got the car going. It crashed and he slumped over my shoulder," she said in her statement.

Mr Sherry, who also investigated this killing, said it appeared the victim was lured to his death. He was shot in the ankle as he ran back to the car and then shot again in the neck and back.

A number of people were arrested and questioned but there was a huge amount of fear at the time in the area where there were warring factions.

"We are satisfied we know who committed the murder but we were unable to gather enough evidence to send to the DPP. I have no doubt that my colleagues will continue to follow up this investigation."

In both cases, the jury returned a verdict of unlawful killing.

Irish Independent

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News