Father-of-three allegedly lured boy from Luas stop
A married father of three has been accused of luring a boy from a Luas stop to a hotel and offering the 12-year-old €50 to touch him.
Michael Davis (51) is alleged to have asked the boy for directions at a tram stop in west Dublin before bringing him to a room in a nearby hotel.
He is facing trial on a sexual exploitation charge and can now be named after a judge ruled there was no evidence of any risk he would not get a fair trial.
Last week, Judge David McHugh rejected a defence request for a ban on naming Mr Davis but put a six-day stay on the order. Judge McHugh said yesterday at Blanchardstown District Court Mr Davis could be named as long as it did not lead to the identification of the alleged victim.
Defence solicitor John O'Doherty said he had no further instructions. Solicitor Kieran Kelly represented Independent News & Media in the case.
Mr Davis, from Shortallstown, Dunmaggin, Co Kilkenny, is on bail pending his trial. He has not yet indicated how he intends to plead. He is charged with sexually exploiting a child at the Citywest Hotel, Saggart, on October 20, 2016.
When he first appeared in court last June, Det Garda Kate Flood said she arrested him and brought him to Clondalkin Garda station where he was charged.
She said it would be alleged the boy was asked by the accused at a Luas stop for directions to a nearby hotel. She said the court would hear the man offered to show the boy his room and they went there together. She said it would be alleged when they got to the room the man offered €50 to the boy if he touched him. She said the boy left the room and contacted gardaí.
Det Gda Flood said later that night the man spoke to three gardaí and said the boy had wanted to see the room because he heard someone famous had stayed there.