| 10.1°C Dublin

Father-of-four jailed after breaking into apartment and attacking man with scalpel


Judge's gavel.

Judge's gavel.

Judge's gavel.

A father of four has been jailed for 21 months after he and an accomplice broke into an apartment and attacked a man who had been staying there.

Dayo Akinsuyi (43) and another man broke in just after 9am and attacked George Cristo with a scalpel and fake gun when he tried to disarm them.

Mr Cristo was left with cuts to his forearms, head and defensive wounds on his hands.

Akinsuyi of Mac Uilliam Lawns, Tallaght, Dublin, pleaded guilty at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court to burglary and assault causing harm at Frances Street, Dublin 8, on August 20, 2013. He has minor previous convictions for road traffic offences.

Judge Martin Nolan said it wasn't clear why the men broke into the apartment but noted one witness statement mentioned they were looking for money.

He said it was “a very serious offence to enter a dwelling and attack people there” but accepted that Akinsuyi had minor previous convictions and had demonstrated remorse by pleading guilty.

Judge Nolan noted Akinsuyi's good work history and accepted that he was a good father and partner.

Garda Shane Moriarty told James Dwyer BL, prosecuting, that Mr Cristo had been sleeping in the sitting room when he woke to hear someone shouting in the home owner's bedroom.

He went into the room and saw Akinsuyi, who he knew by the nickname “Eddie Rocket”. He saw the man appeared to have a gun, so he rushed to him, twisted the weapon from his hand and threw the magazine from it onto the bed.

Another man then came behind Mr Cristo and stabbed him in the shoulder. The victim turned to tackle his attacker and was cut on the hands before Akinsuyi hit him on the head with the gun.

The home owner called gardaí and Mr Cristo tried to hold onto one of the men but they managed to escape.

Akinsuyi was arrested at his home and admitted that he was known as Eddie Rocket but denied any assault. He claimed that a blood stain on his runner was due to the fact that a dog had previously bitten his ankle.

He was re-arrested the following December when forensic analysis linked the blood stain to Mr Cristo.

Akinsuyi was questioned again but again denied the assault. He later pleaded guilty.

Mr Cristo didn't prepare a victim impact statement but medical reports before the court confirmed his injuries.

Gda Moriarty confirmed that gardaí weren't able to establish a motive for the burglary and assault.

Paul Greene SC, defending, said his client was a father of four, who is originally from Nigeria but came to live in Ireland in 1999.

Online Editors