Monday 19 February 2018

Fatal blaze made gloves catch fire, court hears

Declan Brennan

A FIREFIGHTER has told a court that a fatal fire in a derelict building was like an incinerator and that his gloves kept catching fire because of the heat.

Firefighter Tony Horan told the court that the heat was so "ferocious" that even the "air was on fire. . . It was like dropping into scalding hot water."

Brian Murray (46) and Mark O'Shaughnessy (26) died fighting a blaze at a disused ink factory at Adelaide Villas in Bray on September 26, 2007.

Wicklow County Council, which runs the fire service, has pleaded not guilty at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court to four charges relating to alleged criminal breaches under the Safety, Health and Welfare at Work Act 2005, between September 1, 2005 and September 26, 2007.

The trial continues.

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News