Friday 23 February 2018

Fat Freddie's wife Vicky Dempsey spared jail after violent incident in pet shop

Vicky Dempsey (34), of Stannaway Road, Crumlin
Vicky Dempsey (34), of Stannaway Road, Crumlin
Vicky Dempsey
Vicky Dempsey (Violent disorder and assault) leaving CCJ, Parkgate Street, Dublin.

Fiona Ferguson and Jessica Magee

A woman who became involved in a violent incident in a pet shop after her brother got into a dispute about a parking space has been spared jail.

Vicky Dempsey (34), a mother-of-one whose husband Freddie Thompson is in prison, dragged a woman backwards by her hair as the woman's partner was attacked.

Dempsey, of Stannaway Road, Crumlin, pleaded guilty at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court to violent disorder at Purrrfect Pets, Longmile Road on February 5, 2011. She has 12 previous convictions, mainly for road traffic offences.

Judge Mary Ellen Ring today sentenced her to two years in prison but suspended it in full.

Read more here: Fat Freddie: Profile

Her brother Karl Dempsey (36), also of Stannaway Road, has also pleaded guilty to violent disorder on the same occasion and is due for sentence later this year when full facts will be heard in his case.

Vicky Dempsey (Violent disorder and assault) leaving CCJ, Parkgate Street, Dublin.
Vicky Dempsey (Violent disorder and assault) leaving CCJ, Parkgate Street, Dublin.

Judge Ring accepted that Ms Dempsey had acted on impulse and was extremely sorry for what she had done.

She ordered Ms Dempsey to comply with Probation Services for 12 months and follow any directions in relation to education and training.

Garda Darren Coller told Elva Duffy BL, prosecuting, that Karl and another man had been involved in a dispute in the car park outside the pet shop with Mark Eagers who sustained injuries during an altercation.

Vicky Dempsey was not involved in the incident at that earlier stage in the car park.

Mr Eagers rang gardaí and went into the pet shop to wait. He had his phone out and was making a call when he was attacked inside the shop. He was hit into the nose and stamped and kicked. He suffered a broken nose and damage to his hand.

His partner, Lasra Long, said she was pulled backwards by her hair and shoved, causing her to fall into a door frame. She looked up and saw a girl had her by the hair.

Ms Long said the woman told her, "Leave him, he is getting what he deserves." She saw two men at her partner. She was screaming and as the three people left she saw a pool of blood.

Fat Freddie
Fat Freddie

CCTV shows two men assaulting Mr Eagers who was knocked to the ground. Ms Long tried to help him and was dragged backwards by her hair.

Read more here: 'Fat Freddie' Thompson jailed for brawl at funeral 'sparked by slagging'

The garda said Ms Dempsey was the least involved of the three people in terms of violence.

He agreed with Sandra Frayne BL, defending, that Ms Dempsey had nothing to do with the incident in the car park and that none of Mr Eagers’ injures were attributed to Ms Dempsey.

The garda agreed with Ms Frayne that at the time Ms Dempsey came upon the scene her brother Karl had a cut on his face and near his ear.

Mr Eagers told gardaí in his statement that he had been acting in self defence.

Ms Frayne said her client thought she was doing a good thing in coming to her brother’s assistance but now realises she should not have done anything.

Counsel said Dempsey was married and her husband, who she met when she was 17 years old, is in prison. She said Dempsey was involved in her family's flower vendor business.

On Monday, Vicky's husband Freddie Thompson was jailed for a total of 20 months after he pleaded guilty to violent disorder along with two other men at Morrissey's Pub, Cork Street, in Dublin on January 7, 2013.

The melee, during which a beer bottle was thrown at the victim, was "sparked by slagging" after a Dublin funeral, according to Thompson's lawyer.

Garda Seamus O'Donovan who investigated the incident told the Dublin Circuit Criminal Court that the victim never made a complaint to gardai, and although there were many people in the pub at the time, no one came forward to make any witness statements.

"There was no co-operation," Gda O'Donovan told Colm O Briain BL, prosecuting, before he confirmed there was no victim impact report before the court.

Thompson was nominated as a suspect after gardai viewed CCTV footage from the pub.

Judge Martin Nolan said in all probability, Thompson started the row and noted that he threw a bottle at someone.

He backdated the sentence of 20 months to May 23, 2014 when Thompson was first remanded in custody.

Gda O'Donovan agreed with Michael O'Higgins SC, defending, that once Thompson became aware that gardai were interested in speaking to him, his solicitor contacted them to advise that he would co-operate with the investigation.

Thompson could be due out in August as his back-dated sentence includes a 25pc remission for good behavior.

Online Editors

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News