Ex-soccer player gets 12 years in abuse case
A FORMER professional footballer has been jailed for 12 years for the daily sexual abuse of his daughter over four years. She was aged nine when the abuse began.
The now 18-year-old woman delivered her victim-impact statement to the sentence hearing last Monday. She described her father as a monster.
"I don't want an apology from him. I wanted him named and shamed but I can't because it would hurt my family," she said.
The man, now aged 71, was convicted by a Central Criminal Court jury last March on 60 counts of sexual abuse and 14 charges of rape.
He had pleaded not guilty to the charges on dates between January 2002 -- when he was aged 62 -- and September 2006 at locations in both Galway and Roscommon.
The man played with two English football teams and has one previous conviction for a minor traffic offence.
Mr Justice Paul Carney suspended the last three years of the sentence after commenting that he did not think someone should die in prison.
However, he noted that the man had not expressed "genuine remorse" and said he had been "smart-alecky" during his garda interviews, stating 46 times "if (victim) says so, yes it is true".
The judge concluded that the offences merited a 15-year sentence for the rapes and 10-year concurrent terms for the sexual assaults.
He suspended the final three years on condition that the man keeps away from his daughter on his release from prison.