Ex-church aide sent for trial charged with indecently assaulting boys over 13-year period
A FORMER Church of Ireland lay worker has been sent for trial charged with indecently assaulting boys over a 13-year period.
Patrick O’Brien (76) had a book of evidence served on him at Dublin District Court today.
He is charged with 75 counts of indecent assault on 10 separate alleged victims between 1977 and 1990.
Judge Alan Mitchell sent him for trial to Dublin Circuit Criminal Court.
The offences are alleged to have happened at locations around the country including St Patrick’s Cathedral, Dublin, several residential addresses and on a boat.
Judge Mitchell gave the defendant the formal warning that he must provide any alibi details to the prosecution within 14 days.
He remanded Mr O'Brien on bail, under existing terms.
Mr O’Brien, of Knocklyon Road, Templeogue is charged with indecent assault on boys in Dublin and other counties including Galway, Westmeath and Kildare.
At a previous hearing, Detective Garda Anthony Maloney said he arrested Mr O'Brien at Terenure Garda Station for the purpose of charge.
“After caution, to each charge he said: ‘no comment’,” Det Gda Maloney said.
The accused was handed a copy of the charges and arrest warrant.
At the last hearing, Judge Cormac Dunne granted bail in Mr O’Brien’s own bond of €500 with no cash lodgement required.
Conditions were that he signs on at Terenure Garda Station between 9am and 9pm every Wednesday.
He is also to reside at his home address and surrender his passport to gardai.
Det Gda Maloney confirmed that there were no concerns that the accused would not appear for his trial.
He said a lot of people had been interviewed as part of the investigation and asked that Mr O'Brien should not have any contact with them.
Judge Dune said this was an “intrinsic” part of bail.