Sunday 19 November 2017

Dubliner died during plastic surgery after night of cocaine and alcohol, court told

Pierre Christian Lawlor
Pierre Christian Lawlor
Fiona Dillon

Fiona Dillon

A Dublin man who died while undergoing plastic surgery in Colombia had taken cocaine and alcohol two days before, it was claimed today.

Pierre Christian Lawlor (34) of Bellarmine Place, Stepaside, had travelled to Bogotá in 2007 for a holiday, during which he also intended to undergo plastic surgery.

His wife Andrea Galeno told the Dublin Coroner’s Court today that Pierre was “paranoid about his looks and getting old.

“Pierre used to say he was fat and ugly and had big ears,” she said in her statement which was read out to the courts.

“He was afraid I would go off with one of his friends. I thought he was beautiful,” she said.

Andrea said that Pierre had done Botox and wanted to get more work done.

She said he wanted to “pay cheap for the surgery but in a good place”.

The couple travelled to Bogota in August 2007 and they were staying with her mother.

Pierre met a surgeon in a clinic there on August 29, 2007.

He said he wanted his eyes, cheekbone, neck and nose done along with liposuction.

On September 1 he was seen by an anaesthetist at the centre.

He was warned not to smoke or drink, but when the couple went out later that night, he took cocaine.

“He showed it me in a plastic bag,” Andrea said.

She said that he went to the toilet to take it but that she didn’t actually see him take it.

He also had some drinks that night and they stayed out until the early hours of the morning.

The following day, on the Sunday morning she believed he had taken cocaine in the bedroom although, again, she did not see him do it.

On Monday September 3 she said that they went to the clinic arriving there at around 7am and Pierre paid roughly €3,500 at the reception.

Before she left the clinic she saw them marking his body where they were going to do the work.

Andrea later returned clinic at about 3.30pm.

She said that she was later called into the doctor’s office who informed her that there was trouble with Pierre’s heart.

She asked to be allowed see Pierre while he was still alive and was brought down and she saw the doctors massaging his heart.

“I told him not to leave. I told him he was the most beautiful thing to happen to me in my life,” she said.

Later on, she was informed that Pierre had died despite the intensive efforts to save him and she said she called his family to inform them.

Andrea was originally from Venezuela and the couple met through the internet.

She said that she arrived in Ireland in March 2006 and got married later that year.

Their baby son Zachery was born in December 2006.

The inquest is continuing.

Online Editors

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News