Sunday 25 February 2018

Drunk teen became abusive as shop didn't have favourite crisps

Joseph O’Reilly was remanded on bail for public-order offences.
Joseph O’Reilly was remanded on bail for public-order offences.

Andrew Phelan

A teenager caused a drunken disturbance in a sweet shop when he became "distressed" because his favourite brand of crisps was not in stock.

Joseph O'Reilly (19) was arrested in the city centre store after staff became concerned and contacted gardai.

He pleaded guilty to public-order offences in the incident. Judge Bryan Smyth adjourned the case against him for the production of a restorative justice programme report.

O'Reilly admitted public drunkenness and using threatening, abusive and insulting behaviour with intent to cause a breach of the peace.

Dublin District Court heard gardai responded to a call to Nellie's Sweet Shop on Fleet Street in Temple Bar on March 29 last.


Garda Frank Johnson said officers arrived at 7.35pm and found O'Reilly in a very intoxicated and distressed state.

"He stated that he was upset because they didn't have a certain package of crisps," Garda Johnson told Judge Smyth.

The court heard O'Reilly, from Greencastle Road, Coolock was very apologetic afterwards.

In a separate incident, on July 15 last, the court heard gardai on patrol saw the accused on Greencastle Road.

When they spoke to him, they found him to be extremely intoxicated, speaking incoherently and stumbling off the footpath on to the road.

He was arrested and taken to Coolock Garda Station.

Garda Joan Fitzpatrick told the court O'Reilly was "very apologetic and obliging with the gardai" in the station.

He had no previous convictions of any kind.

O'Reilly was a "very nervous individual", his solicitor Paula Egan said. He was "very ashamed of his behaviour".

O'Reilly had completed his Leaving Certificate in Colaiste Dhulaigh in Coolock and had done courses afterwards in retail sales and delivery as well as horticulture.


He was living at home with his mother.

Ms Egan told Judge Smyth the defendant was prepared to take part in a restorative justice programme.

Judge Smyth noted that O'Reilly had shown remorse and had "never been in this kind of trouble before".

He adjourned the case to a date in November, remanding the accused on continuing bail.

Online Editors

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News