Disgraced surgeon guilty of indecent assault on two boys
A jury has convicted retired consultant surgeon Michael Shine of indecently assaulting two young male patients in a hospital.
Shine (85), of Wellington Road, in Dublin, had pleaded not guilty at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court to eight charges of indecently assaulting six patients at Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital, and at his private clinic, both in Drogheda, Co Louth, on dates between 1964 and 1991.
On Wednesday, the jury of four men and eight women acquitted him of some of these charges.
Yesterday, having deliberated for just over six hours, the jury returned majority guilty verdicts on three outstanding counts of assaulting two teenage patients on dates between 1974 and 1976.
Shine had admitted attending to these patients, but denied that anything inappropriate was done during these medical examinations.
Giving evidence during the trial, he said that he would never do anything that would embarrass or upset a patient.
One victim testified that he was aged around 15 or 16 in 1976 when he attended the hospital with an ingrowing toenail. He told the trial that Dr Shine tied him to a bed with rubber bungee restraints and a blanket, and then slipped his hand under the blanket and started massaging his testicles.
He said he knew it was weird but didn't know if he could speak out because he was "just a young boy".
The second victim testified that during two follow up examinations at Shine's private clinic in Drogheda, Shine massaged the base of his penis. The victim was in his mid-teens at the time and told the trial that he told himself for years that there was nothing improper about what the doctor did.
Judge Cormac Quinn remanded Shine on continuing bail until December 1 for sentencing.
Shine had become unwell and arrangements were being made to take him to a GP, but he was present when the jury delivered its verdicts just before midday.
Mr Shine has previously been struck off by the Medical Council.
Five years ago, former patients of Mr Shine reached a multi-million euro settlement with the religious order that ran the hospital.
More than 100 former patients who claimed they were sexually abused by the struck-off medic agreed to a settlement, believed to exceed €8m.
It was reached with insurers Allianz.