Wednesday 17 January 2018

Detective quizzed over witness in Dundon trial

Wayne Dundon arriving at the Four Courts in June 2013
Wayne Dundon arriving at the Four Courts in June 2013

Natasha Reid

A detective has denied knowing that the principle witness against Wayne Dundon in the Roy Collins murder trial had previously implicated Dundon in a murder he could not have committed.

Wayne Dundon (36), of Lenihan Avenue, Prospect is on trial with Nathan Killeen (24) of Hyde Road, Prospect. They have both pleaded not guilty to the murder of 35-year-old Roy Collins at Coin Castle Amusements, Roxboro Road Shopping Centre, Limerick on April 9, 2009.

The non-jury court has heard that Mr Collins was at work around noon that day when a gunman entered his amusement arcade and discharged a single shot, hitting him in the chest.  He died of wounds to organs and blood vessels in his abdomen.

It’s the prosecution case that Wayne Dundon directed the murder from prison, Nathan Killeen was the getaway driver and another man, James Dillon, was the gunman.

The main prosecution witness against Dundon is 31-year-old Gareth Collins, who testified that Dundon offered him €20,000 to take part in the murder. He said Dundon made the offer over the phone from his prison cell, but said he repeatedly refused.

Det Gda Farmer testified that he had taken the witness statement from Collins in 2011, when Collins was in prison.

Under cross examination by Remy Farrell SC, defending Dundon, he said he did not know what Collins wanted to talk about when he was sent to see him in prison on April 26th that year, but knew he was a member of the Dundon gang.

He said that Collins told him that he had information on the Limerick murders of bouncer Brian Fitzgerald as well as of Roy Collins.

Gareth Collins said that he had been asked to take part in the murder of Brian Fitzgerald on November 29th, 2002. However, he claimed he had made himself unavailable when Wayne Dundon called for him on the night of the murder.

Collins elaborated that Wayne Dundon and a number of other gang members had called to his house some time before Mr Fitzgerald’s murder. He said that he went to speak to one of the men, who held a gun to his jaw.

“You’re driving the bike or I’ll blow your head off,” said this man, according to Collins, adding that he was to drive the hit man to and from the murder.

Collins said that he was later shown the route he had to take after the shooting and that the gang member offered him €10,000 in cash to do it.

Collins said that on the night of Mr Fitzgerald’s murder, this man knocked on his door and Wayne Dundon came into the house. However, Collins said that he hid under a bed.

Mr Farrell put it to the detective that he must have been very excited leaving the prison that day to have a witness prepared to give testimony against Wayne Dundon in relation to two murders.

“I wouldn’t call it exciting,” he responded.

He agreed that he and a colleague returned to the prison the following week to take a statement from the prisoner on the Roy Collins murder.

He agreed that nobody had ever returned to take his statement on the Brian Fitzgerald murder, but said that it was a live investigation and it might yet be taken.

“Where was Wayne Dundon on November 29th, 2002?” asked Mr Farrell.

“I’ve no idea,” replied the detective.

Mr Farrell informed him that Dundon was in Portlaoise Prison on that date.

“Are you aware that Gareth Collins appears to have implicated Wayne Dundon in a murder he couldn’t have committed?” he was asked.

“I didn’t know Wayne Dundon was in custody at that time,” he replied. “I’m not aware.”

The trial will continue on June 16th before three judges, presided over by Ms Justice Iseult O’Malley.

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News