Saturday 21 September 2019

Declan 'Whacker' Duffy pleads guilty to assaulting one man and falsely imprisoning another

Declan 'Whacker' Duffy
Declan 'Whacker' Duffy

Robin Schiller and Daniel Hickey

Former INLA boss Declan ‘Whacker’ Duffy has pleaded guilty to assaulting one man and falsely imprisoning another man.

The notorious thug appeared before a sitting of the Special Criminal Court today, where he admitted to assaulting John Roche, causing him harm, at the Towers, Garters Lane, Saggart, County Dublin.

‘Whacker’ also pleaded guilty to falsely imprisoning Martin Byrne in Rathcoole/Saggart, County Dublin.

Both offences date from June 9, 2015.

Mr Justice Tony Hunt, presiding at the three-judge, non-jury court, remanded Duffy in custody until October 18, when the case is listed for mention again.

The judge also ordered the preparation of victim impact statements, to be read at a future sentence hearing.

Declan 'Whacker' Duffy
Declan 'Whacker' Duffy

Duffy and his two co-accused, Christopher Maguire (38) and Daniel Kane (28), had been due this week to go on trial.

Yesterday Maguire, of Dun Emer Place in Lusk, had pleaded guilty to falsely imprisoning Martin Byrne in Saggart and Lisa Byrne in the Towers, Garters Lane, Saggart, County Dublin, on June 9th, 2015.

The third man, Mr Kane, of Hollycourt in Ballybrack, failed to attend the court.

Their co-accused ‘Whacker’ Duffy, originally from Armagh joined the Irish National Liberation Army (INLA) in the 1980s and he was still a teenager when he was involved in the murder of Sergeant Michael Newman in Derby, England in 1992.

It was not until July 2010, that he was convicted and received a life sentence for this murder of the unarmed police officer was shot once through the side of the head at point-blank range as he reached his car.

However Duffy was released from jail under the terms of the Good Friday Agreement.

Before being convicted of that murder Duffy had served jail time here for membership of the INLA as well as his role in the infamous Ballymount Bloodbath.

In 1999 his group took six men from a rival gang hostage and beat and tortured them in Ballymount industrial estate.

During a bitter fight, INLA man Patrick Campbell was killed by machete blows.

Duffy previously served nine years in prison for false imprisonment and possession of a gun.

He was released in 2007 but immediately became involved in a bitter gangland feud with dangerous criminals based in the south inner city, Crumlin and Tallaght areas of the capital before being arrested and convicted of membership of an illegal organisation in 2008.

In July of last year Christy Maguire survived an attempt on his life after being shot a number of times outside his home.

Online Editors

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News