Thursday 14 December 2017

Dad-of-one stabbed 30 times in attack, murder trial is told

Victim Gerard Burnett
Victim Gerard Burnett

Niamh O’Donoghue

A FATHER of one who was stabbed to death had sustained 30 wounds, a court has heard. Andrew Gibney (21) of Drumheath Avenue, Mulhuddart, has pleaded not guilty to murdering him.

Mr Burnett was stabbed 30 times and pronounced dead in hospital a short time later, the Central Criminal Court heard.


The accused told gardai that Mr Burnett stabbed Mr Gibney in the shoulder with a screwdriver four years previously.

Mr Tom O’Connell SC, prosecuting, told the jury in his opening speech that Mr Gibney and a number of other men went to Mr Burnett’s house in Castlecurragh Avenue shortly before midnight.

Mr O’Connell said that two of the men were armed with knives and when they rang the doorbell Mr Burnett opened the door and was attacked.

He said that Mr Gibney was armed with a knife and that he participated in the stabbing of Mr Burnett.

Mr Gibney’s house was searched by gardai a week later and the next day he visited Blanchardstown Garda |Station with his father where he admitted the stabbing. “I was involved in an incident, the chap is dead now and I need to give him peace,” Mr Gibney told gardai.

After being arrested, he told gardai that he used the knife on Mr Burnett three times.

The accused said he decided to go to Mr Burnett’s house about a half an hour beforehand and that the events were triggered by alcohol.


When interviewed, the accused said he got the knife from his house, then ran back home after the incident and washed the blade in his kitchen.

“I was drunk, I shouldn’t have done what I done, I stabbed him three times,” he said.

“I don’t know what the intention was, my intention wasn’t murder,” he added.

Mr Gibney identified two knives to gardai, the court also heard.

Mr Burnett’s partner Denise Farrell told Mr O’ Connell that she was also in the house on that night and that their son was in bed asleep.

Ms Farrell said the doorbell rang and she told Mr Burnett not to answer it but that he |did.

She said he opened the door slightly and a man asked him “are you Gerard Burnett?”

When he said he was the man replied “you’re f**king dead.”

She said she saw three men at the door and there was a knife in one of the men’s hands.

Ms Farrell said there were a number of reasons why she told her partner not to answer the door.

She told the court that Mr Burnett sold ecstasy and wine to people if the off-licence was shut but that people would ring before calling at the house. 

The trial continues before a jury of nine men and three women, with Mr Justice Patrick McCarthy presiding.

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News