Sunday 18 February 2018

Court hears how Limerick man received broken jaws and nose in unprovoked 'savage beating'

Kathryn Hayes

A LIMERICK man who was subjected to a "savage beating" in an unprovoked attack still has difficulties chewing his food, a court has heard.

The evidence was given at Limerick Circuit Court today where two men pleaded guilty to assault causing serious harm to a man in his forties at Bedford Row, Limerick on February 19th 2011.

The victim suffered two broken jaws, a fractured nasal bone, two black eyes, and loose teeth for which he had to have splints fitted.

The court heard that 90pc of his lip and chin area was numb after the attack and that he had to eat liquidised food for three months afterwards and still has difficulty chewing.

Paul Edwards, (21) with addresses at Broad street Limerick, and Main Street, Templemore, and Niall Joyce, (20) Cosgrave Park, Moyross, Limerick, both admitted their involvement in the unprovoked attack.

The court heard they targeted their victim while he was on his way to get a taxi after a night out.

Garda Tracey Draper told the injured party had left a night club shortly after 3am and walked towards Bedford Row to get a taxi when he was attacked by the two men.

One witness saw the victim being kicked into the stomach and the head.

His mobile phone and wallet contained between €20 and €40 was stolen and he walked up to a local fast food outlet covered in blood, the court heard.

The accused men were caught on CCTV cameras leaving the scene of the assault wearing the exact same clothing seen by witnesses, but there was no footage of the assault.

Following their arrest the suspects admitted their involvement in what they agreed was an unprovoked assault.

The court heard the victim was out of work for some time after the attack and needed counselling for trauma he suffered.

He still has difficulty chewing his food and is nervous leaving his house at night time and hesitant to go into town, Garda Draper said.

Judge Moran said the injured party had suffered serious injuries as a result of a “pretty savage beating”

He said the appropriate sentence was three years because of the serious injuries and the savage nature of the assault but he agreed to adjourn sentencing until after Christmas.

Both defendants gave a sworn undertaking to stay away from alcohol and other drugs and sentencing was adjourned until January 18th next.

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News