Monday 23 October 2017

County hurler for trial over €32,000 theft days before match

Tipperary hurling goalkeeper Darren Gleeson
Tipperary hurling goalkeeper Darren Gleeson
Ralph Riegel

Ralph Riegel

Tipperary hurling goalkeeper Darren Gleeson (35) faces trial just days before an All-Ireland hurling qualifier on charges of stealing €32,000 from a client of a financial services firm.

Mr Gleeson, of Shesharoe, Portroe, Co Tipperary, has pleaded not guilty to counts of stealing a total of €32,000 in 2013.

The Tipperary star was scheduled to face trial before Tipperary Circuit Criminal Court in Nenagh but the proceedings were adjourned following submissions from defence counsel Johnny Walshe BL.

Mr Walshe told Judge Thomas Teehan he was applying for the matter to be adjourned on a number of grounds after "a number of difficulties have arisen".

He pointed out that the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) has now instructed that the prosecution be led by a senior counsel.

Mr Walshe said that, to date, the free legal aid certificate for his client had only extended to a junior counsel.

He was now applying for that to be extended to a senior counsel.

Mr Walshe also raised concerns over material which had been published on the internet in respect of the case last January.

He said that, as requested by the court, some material had been removed from the internet.

However, other material remained accessible on the internet, including items on an Irish media site.

Mr Walsh applied for the case to be adjourned at least until October so that the material can be fully removed from the internet and "a fade factor" can apply.

He confirmed that his solicitor has since written to the media group involved requesting that the material involved be removed from public access.

Judge Teehan adjourned the trial until June 27 and extended the legal aid certificate to cover a senior counsel.

Judge Teehan also asked Mr Walshe to have his solicitor again contact the media group involved a second time and made it known that the trial judge would request the material involved to be removed from the internet. "I will not put it any further than that," he said.

He adjourned the matter until June 27 to allow a senior counsel to take instructions. "The trial proceeds (then)," he said.

Irish Independent

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News