Council faces legal action over fire that killed 10
The DPP is considering whether Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council is to be prosecuted over health and safety breaches in relation to a fatal fire that claimed 10 lives two years ago.
Five adults and five children died following the fire at Glenamuck halting site in Carrickmines in the early hours of October 10, 2015.
The Irish Independent has learned that central to the Garda investigation is how close together units in the temporary halting site were and whether their placement amounted to a health and safety failing by Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council.
At a resumed inquest at Dublin Coroner's Court yesterday, Inspector Tom Condon of Dún Laoghaire garda station confirmed an investigation file has been completed and sent to the DPP's office.
The council is being represented by solicitor Michael Staines.
The council previously acknowledged units at the halting site were moved during upgrade works in March and April 2015, six months before the fire. Relatives of those who died have said the new configuration left some units too close together.
The fire is believed to have started in one unit and quickly spread to another. In a statement the council said it was aware a file had been submitted to the DPP. "It would be inappropriate for the council to comment in advance of any decision by the DPP".
The fire victims were Thomas Connors (27) his wife Sylvia (30), and their children Jim (5), Christy (3) and six-month-old Mary; Willie Lynch (25), his partner Tara Gilbert (27), who was pregnant, and daughters Jodie (9) and Kelsey (4), and 39-year-old Jimmy Lynch, a brother of Willie.