Monday 16 July 2018

Convicted rapist abused two girls on Luas ahead of Rihanna concert

Sonya McLean

A CONVICTED child molester sexually assaulted two girls on the Luas while they were en-route to a Rihanna concert.

John Daly (53) was arrested three months later as he was about to board the tram at the O2 following another concert, this time by One Direction.

He had been named as a suspect after gardai viewed CCTV footage from the Luas after the girls, aged 13 and 16, reported him.

Daly admitted he had deliberately boarded the Luas, heading for the Rihanna concert, to touch young girls and get sexually aroused.

He said he had it "in my head to do it" and had been doing it "for my own satisfaction".

Daly, of Cabra Park, Phibsboro, pleaded guilty at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court to two charges of sexual assault on October 3, 2011.

Judge Mary Ellen Ring told Garda Cathriona Gilmartin to advise the victims' parents of Daly's previous conviction before they learned about it in the media.

LENIENCY

Daly was found guilty of rape and indecent assault relating to two young girls on dates from 1980 to 1984, and to aggravated sexual assault and sexual assault on a 62-year-old woman on dates from 1997 to 1998.

He was previously sentenced to three years with one suspended at the Central Criminal Court in February 2000.

It was appealed by the Director of Public Prosecutions on the basis of leniency, and increased to six years.

Judge Ring yesterday revoked his bail and remanded him in custody until January for sentence.

Victim impact reports were handed in to Judge Ring but not read out. Neither the girls nor their families were in court.

Luigi Rea BL, defending, said Daly had been a model prisoner while serving his earlier sentence, but accepted he had not successfully dealt with "the demons in his mind".

Counsel said Daly wanted to apologise to the girls who had been on this "nightmare train journey".

Irish Independent

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News