| 15.9°C Dublin

Child scalded by tea in Burger King awarded €14,000

Close

Burger King

Burger King

Burger King

A NINE-YEAR-OLD child, who was scalded and scarred by a cup of tea in a Burger King restaurant 18 months ago, was today awarded €14,000 damages in the Circuit Civil Court.

Barrister Ivan Daly told the court that on the 9th December 2011, Jade Boylan had been in Burger King at Omni Shopping Centre, Santry, Dublin, when a carton cup of hot tea was spilled on her left shoulder after a customer had bumped into her tray.

 

Jade had been taken to the Emergency Department of the Children’s University Hospital, Temple Street, Dublin. She had suffered a second degree scald which had been cleaned and dressed. She had been prescribed antibiotics and discharged the same day.

 

Mr Daly told Judge Matthew Deery that the wound had left a permanent half-inch scar on Jade’s shoulder.

 

In an affidavit her father, Michael Boylan, of Avoca House, Temple Street West, Arbour Hill, Dublin, said that since the incident, Jade had become anxious when she was near a boiling kettle.

 

Jade, who was seven and a half at the time, sued Burger King Ltd, trading as OKR Group, with a registered address at Merrion Square, Dublin, through her father.

 

Mr Daly told the court today that the company had made a settlement offer of €14,000 which was approved by Judge Deery.

Online Editors