Sunday 19 November 2017

Chef scalded by 'domestic' garden hose used to clean kitchen floor awarded €15k


Saurya Cherfi

A chef in a Dublin restaurant was scalded because of an ‘unsuitable’ powerhose having been used to clean the kitchen floor, a judge in the Circuit Civil Court said today.

Circuit Court President Mr Justice Raymond Groarke said the ordinary domestic garden hose system used at the Howards Way Restaurant in  Braemor Road, Churchtown, Dublin, had not been designed to be used with very hot water. 

Chef Shijun Liu, with an address in Rathmines, told the court he had been working for the company at a second restaurant of the same name in Rathgar where such a cleaning practice was never in use. 

Barrister Peter Cronin-Burbridge, counsel for Liu, said that on the night of the incident in March 2013, his client had been working at the Churchtown restaurant. 

There had been three people in the kitchen at the time and the hose had come lose, spraying Mr Liu’s ankle, when he had tried to help a cleaner untangle it. 

Mr Cronin-Burbridge, who appeared with Sinnott Solicitors, told Judge Groarke Mr Liu was taken to a VHI Clinic in Dundrum where he was treated for burns. 

Mr Liu told the court he had been off work for a fortnight because of his injuries.

Awarding him €15,000 damages against former employer Declan Howard, trading as Howards Way, Churchtown, Judge Groarke said he found Mr Liu’s account of what had happened very compelling.

The judge said he had not been impressed with the evidence of head chef David Keogh who had told the court he had been responsible for training staff in the use of the powerhose for kitchen cleaning. 

Judge Groarke said the court had been told by forensic engineer Niallo Carroll  that the use of hot water in the system was not suitable because it softened the hose. 

Online Editors

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News