Charity worker gets settlement and apology from Irish Daily Mail over sexual misconduct claims
CHARITY worker Michael Meegan was given a High Court apology yesterday over an article in the Irish Daily Mail containing allegations of sexual misconduct against him.
Mr Meegan, who was founder of a Third World charity, had sued Associated Newspapers (AN) as a result of an article which appeared on the front page of the paper on April 20, 2010.
In court today, Mr Meegan's counsel Jim O'Callaghan said the matter had been settled.
Eoin McCullough SC, for AN, read an apology which stated the paper had published reports in relation to Mr Meegan which contained " allegations of grave sexual misconduct on his part.
"The newspaper ought not to have published these allegations and had agreed not to do so. We apologise without reservation to Mr Meegan for the damage and distress caused to him as a result."
Mr Meegan, who lives for the most part in Ngong Hills, Kenya is the founder of the International Community for Relief of Starvation and Suffering (ICROSS).
After two hours of talks, Ms Justice Elizabeth Dunne and a jury were told the case was settled and could be struck out.
Jim O'Callaghan SC said Mr Meegan was also to be given the costs of the proceedings.