Monday 14 October 2019

Catherine Nevin Supreme Court appeal bid re-entered

Catherine Nevin
Catherine Nevin

Brian Kavanagh

A BID by Catherine Nevin to take an appeal against her conviction for murder to the Supreme Court has been re-entered on the Court of Criminal Appeal list after it was temporarily struck out.

In December last year Mr Justice Adrian Hardiman said that the matter would be struck from the appeal court Case Management List after hearing that submissions had not been filed by lawyers for Nevin.

This morning at the appeal court Mr Justice Hardiman said the matter would be re-entered on the next list, expected to be in July, after hearing there was no objection from the State.

Nevin is seeking to bring her case before the Supreme Court on the basis that it raises points of law of exceptional public importance and that it is in the public interest that these should be decided on by the Supreme Court.

In 2000 she was jailed for life having been convicted of murdering her husband Tom Nevin at their pub, Jack White’s Inn, near Brittas Bay, Co Wicklow, on March 19th 1996. She also received a seven year sentence for soliciting three men to kill her husband in 1989 and 1990.

The 61-year-old, who has always denied any involvement in the murder, lost an appeal against her conviction in 2003.

Online Editors

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News