| 7.7°C Dublin

Burglary gang suspects held after car chase on motorways


Stock photo

Stock photo

Stock photo

Two suspected members of a notorious burglary gang who were arrested after a high-speed pursuit by gardaí are due to appear in court this morning.

The chase took place on the M50 and the M1 last Thursday night and involved Garda cars and the Garda helicopter.

The dramatic pursuit of the men began in Dublin, continued through Meath and finally ended near Dundalk, Co Louth.

The men were in a stolen vehicle that had false plates and was resprayed. It is understood it had been stolen in the UK specifically to be used in organised burglaries.

In a statement, gardaí said they had charged two men in relation to the incident that happened on the night of January 30 at Junction 13 on the M50.

"Three males were arrested and detained under Section 50, Criminal Justice Act, 2007 and two men (20s) have been charged in relation to burglaries," it said.

The men will appear before Dún Laoghaire District Court this morning, the statement confirmed.

It said the youth arrested has been released without charge and a file will be prepared for the Juvenile Liaison Office.

Meanwhile, gardaí said their investigations are ongoing.

A manhunt was continuing for a fourth suspect who escaped on foot.

The men are suspects in a spate of burglaries in south Dublin last week.

One suspect is on bail in relation to similar offences in the west of Ireland.

Gardaí have been able to link the crew to three burglaries that took place in the Blackrock area on Thursday night, including the theft of €10,000 in jewellery which was dumped on the motorway during the chase.

Jewellery and cash were also taken from another home, while in the third incident a suspect "got spooked" after an alarm went off as he attempted to climb in the window of a property.

Detectives are investigating if the same crew has been responsible for "up to two dozen" burglaries last week in a southside area stretching from Shankill to Stepaside.

The wider mob are suspected of a spate of burglaries across the capital.

They include a horrific incident last month in which a Dublin model feared she was going to die after a gang of men held a knife to her throat and threw bleach on her during a burglary.

Eve Ryan (24) spent 20 hours locked inside an en-suite bathroom before being rescued by her aunt at her home in Portmarnock, Co Dublin.

"This is an organised crime gang - a prime target of Operation Thor.

"They are as prolific as they come in terms of organised burglary gangs," a senior source said last night.

"They have been terrorising the capital for months now. These are highly significant arrests."

Irish Independent