Monday 23 October 2017

Burglar gets four years in jail after teen terrorised with broken bottle

Fiona Ferguson

A BURGLAR who held a broken wine bottle to the throat of a 16-year-old boy has been given a four-year sentence.

Jordan Cunningham (19), of Charlemont Gardens, Charlemont Street, Dublin, pleaded guilty at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court to aggravated burglary at the house in Ranelagh on January 9, 2012.

Garda Ronan Lacey told Fiona Murphy BL, prosecuting, that the victim was downstairs in his home when he answered a knock to the door. He spoke to Cunningham who asked him the time and whether his mother was home. He replied his mother was not there.

Cunningham produced the broken bottle and grabbed him in a head lock. He told the boy: “I don’t want to kill you. I only want money.”

He led the boy into the kitchen and asked him to open drawers before taking a Hilfiger watch. Cunningham asked him where the knives were and the boy said he did not know.

The boy kept his arms up to try and keep the bottle away from his neck. When Cunningham was distracted the teenager smashed the bottle against the counter. He then grabbed onto Cunningham and was kicking and shouting as he tried to back him out the door.

Cunningham banged off the wall and a mirror and shouted “OK, where’s the door.” The boy pushed him outside and bolted the door. He went to seek help from his father upstairs.

In the meantime, gardai had received a call about a man acting suspiciously in the area and were told the man had gone into the garden of a nearby house. Gardai heard shouting and as they entered the driveway of the house they saw Cunningham run away.

Cunningham made full admissions after being arrested and apologised for the offence. He has 32 previous convictions.

Dean Kelly BL, defending, said Cunningham has a tragic family history and had his first conviction aged 14. He added Cunningham accepted it was a nasty and frightening offence.

Judge Martin Nolan noted the incident had been an incredibly frightening for the teenager and imposed a four-year sentence on Cunningham.

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News