Sunday 19 November 2017

Brothers charged after death of teen

Mourners gathered at
the spot in Tyrrelstown,
west Dublin, where Toyosi
'Toy' Shittabey died. Photo: Gareth Chaney
Mourners gathered at the spot in Tyrrelstown, west Dublin, where Toyosi 'Toy' Shittabey died. Photo: Gareth Chaney
Toyosi in his Under-15s Shelbourne soccer strip
Paul Barry (38) covers his head outside court yesterday in Dublin
Michael Barry (23) leaves court yesterday
Toyosi's mother Bola at her home in Tyrrelstown
Mourners cry during a Mass for Toyosi Shittabey at the scene where he was stabbed to death in Tyrrelstown, Dublin
Two girls weep at the memorial Mass for the murdered teenager yesterday
Allison Bray

Allison Bray

TWO brothers are to appear in court again tomorrow after being charged in connection with the stabbing death of a west Dublin teenager on Friday night.

Paul Barry (38), of Pearse Street, Dublin, was charged at 2.45pm yesterday with the manslaughter of Toyosi Shittabey (15), of Tyrrelstown, Blanchardstown, Co Dublin.

He was taken from Blanchardstown garda station where he had been questioned in connection with the teenager's death and brought before a special sitting of Dublin District Court at the Bridewell at 4pm yesterday.

Garda Thomas Cooney said the accused had nothing to say when charged.

The accused expressed no emotion as he sat in the courtroom wearing a green T-shirt and black sweatsuit bottoms.

His left arm was in a sling and two of his left fingers were bandaged. He also appeared to have bruising under one eye.

He was remanded in custody until his next appearance at Cloverhill District Court tomorrow morning.

His brother Michael Barry, (23), of Pigeonhouse Road, Ringsend, Dublin, was also charged yesterday with possession of a hockey stick after being questioned at the Blanchardstown garda station.


He was also brought before Dublin District Court Judge Patrick Clyne at the Bridewell, where he made an application for bail.

Judge Clyne remanded him in custody with consent to bail, pending his appearance at Cloverhill District Court tomorrow morning.

Consent to bail was granted on the condition that Mr Barry provide an independent surety of €6,000 -- including a cash lodgment of €4,000 -- at his next court appearance.

Dressed in grey tracksuit bottoms and a cream-coloured fleece over a red T-shirt, Michael Barry sat with his arms crossed over his chest throughout the proceedings.

He occasionally looked over at a number of reporters who attended the hearing but otherwise remained still and stared straight ahead at the judge.

The court heard that Mr Barry had been living in Canada for nine months and had indicated a desire to return there in the future.

He was ordered to surrender his passport and provide an undertaking that he would not attempt to apply for a Canadian passport or other travel documents. The judge ordered him to stay away from the Tyrrelstown area and not to contact any witnesses.

He also ordered Mr Barry to sign on daily at Irishtown garda station.

Both men are unemployed, the court also heard.

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News