Friday 15 December 2017

Brother and sister remanded in custody on murder charge

Sabrina Cummins and her brother Kenneth (right) arriving at Dublin District Court
Sabrina Cummins and her brother Kenneth (right) arriving at Dublin District Court
Kenneth Cummins

Andrew Phelan

A BROTHER and sister have been remanded in custody after being charged with the murder of a 63-year-old man at his home at a housing complex for senior citizens.

Kenneth Cummins (26) and his sister Sabrina Cummins (36) appeared in Dublin District Court after they were arrested and charged over the killing of Thomas Horan.

Judge Michael Walsh directed that the siblings were to receive medical attention while they were in custody.

They are both charged with murdering Mr Horan, who was found dead after he was beaten at his apartment in sheltered accommodation for the elderly in Ringsend. He died of internal injuries and his body was found in the bedroom of the flat on Monday.

The accused, both of the same address at Ringsend Park, Dublin 4, are charged with murdering Mr Horan at Cambridge Court, Ringsend, on January 6.

Garda Bryan Hunt told the court he arrested Mr Cummins at 2.58pm at Old Cabra Road on January 8 and brought him to Irishtown garda station.

He was detained until Thursday night and made no reply to the charge after caution at 8.45pm.

Det Gda David Wogan said he arrested Ms Cummins at 2.49pm at Cabra Cross on January 8 and she also made no reply when charged at Donnybrook garda station on Thursday evening.


No bail applications were made, as this cannot be granted at district court level on a murder charge.

Judge Walsh made the requested orders and granted legal aid in both cases. He remanded the defendants in custody, to appear in court again on January 16, for the directions of the DPP.

Mr Cummins, wearing a grey hooded tracksuit and black T-shirt, and Ms Cummins, in a dark grey hooded jacket, black top and skirt, did not address the court during the brief hearing.

Mr Horan's body was found on the floor of his bedroom at around 4am on Monday. He had been living in the Cambridge Court flat for more than three years.

A post-mortem by State Pathologist Professor Marie Cassidy confirmed that he had died as a result of internal injuries.

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News