Sunday 25 August 2019

Boy told gardaí he believed injuries to co-accused were caused by Ana Kriegel

Youngster gave officers help in describing two men he alleged assaulted him

Attending trial: Geraldine and Patrick Kriegel, parents of Ana Kriegel leave court.
Photo: Collins
Attending trial: Geraldine and Patrick Kriegel, parents of Ana Kriegel leave court. Photo: Collins
Murder victim Ana Kriegel
Det-Gda Marcus Roantree. Photo: Collins
Eimear Cotter

Eimear Cotter

A boy told a detective he believed injuries which his co-accused claimed he had suffered in an assault by two older teens had been inflicted on him by schoolgirl Ana Kriegel, a trial heard.

Detective Garda Marcus Roantree told the Central Criminal Court he had arranged to retrace Boy B's last interactions with Ana.

When Det-Gda Roantree met Boy B on May 17, 2018, Ana's body had just been found.

Det-Gda Roantree said Boy B told him he had heard Ana's body had been found and was ­nervous because he was one of the last people to be seen with her.

The officer also gave evidence that Boy B told him Boy A and his mother had called to his house on May 15, and this was the first time he'd learned Boy A had been assaulted.

Boy B said Boy A had spoken about it briefly.

Det-Gda Roantree said Boy B told him he believed "Ana did this to him" as Boy A would have had "more marks on his face" if he'd been assaulted by two big guys.

The garda also said he took a voluntary DNA sample from Boy A on May 16, 2018, as well as photographs of the injuries he alleged he received when he was assaulted.

Det-Gda Roantree said Boy A told him Ana had touched him, and put her hand across his shoulder and chest and that this might be helpful.

He told prosecutor Brendan Grehan SC he hadn't asked Boy A any questions, and when he said "Ana" the garda knew he was referring to Ana Kriegel, who was still missing.

The Central Criminal Court also heard Boy A helped gardaí to generate a computer image of the two older men he alleged assaulted him on the day Ana went missing.

Det-Gda Mairead Crowley said she spent three-and-a-half hours with Boy A generating the evofit, or computer image, of the two men who he said had attacked him in the park in Lucan, Co Dublin.

Det-Gda Crowley said Boy A and his mother came to Garda Headquarters on May 17, 2018, to complete the evofit.

She said Boy A gave "a very good description" of both his attackers.

In her evidence, Boy A's mother said her son looked "very, very pale and shaking" when he arrived home about 6pm on May 14.

His father said Boy A looked scruffy and dusty. He told him he'd been "hopped" by two older youths.

His father said Boy A told him that he'd been in the park with Boy B, but did not mention Ana.

Earlier, Garda Seamus Timmins said he had checked the CCTV footage in the park between 4.30pm and 8pm on May 14, 2018 and he did not see any evidence of Boy A's alleged attackers.

He accepted not all the cameras in the park were working.

In his evidence, Boy A's father said his son was "shaking" and had a bit of blood on his lip when he spoke to him in his bedroom around 6pm.

He said his son was limping, and his hands were scruffy and dusty. He then gave his son a cup of sweet tea.

The pair then drove around the park to see whether they could spot anyone matching the descriptions his son had given him, but nobody fitted them.

In her evidence, Boy A's mother said her son had been given permission to go out, and he'd come home around 6pm.

He called her into his bedroom. He looked rattled and shaken, she said.

Her son had a small spot of blood on his T-shirt as well as a small amount on his bottoms.

He looked like "he'd been beaten up", she added, and he said he'd been attacked by two youths in the park.

She later washed her son's clothes, she told the court.

In cross-examination, Boy A's mother accepted she couldn't remember exactly when her son had told her he had met Boy B in the park.

Earlier, a doctor who examined Boy A said he had suffered "soft tissue injuries consistent with blunt force trauma".

The GP gave evidence that Boy A told him he had been assaulted in a random attack about 5.30pm on May 14.

The doctor told the Central Criminal Court he conducted a brief examination and found bruising and tenderness on the lower part of Boy A's back as well as swelling to his right knee.

The teenager also had pain in his right wrist.

The youths, aged 13 at the time, have pleaded not guilty to the murder of Ana (14) at Glenwood House, Laraghcon, Clonee Road in Lucan on May 14 last year. Boy A has also denied a charge of aggravated sexual assault.

The trial continues.

Irish Independent

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News