Boy accused of Ana murder to apply for bail
A 13-year-old boy accused of the murder of schoolgirl Ana Kriegel is to bring a bail application before the High Court tomorrow, a judge has been told.
The teen faced his third hearing at the Dublin Children's Court yesterday. The boy, who cannot be named because he is under 18, was charged with the murder of 14-year-old Anastasia Kriegel at Glenwood House, Laraghcon, Lucan, Co Dublin, on May 14.
A State solicitor told Judge John O'Connor that the case was listed for directions from the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP).
The prosecution lawyer said that "significant progress has been made" in the case.
Garda Inspector Mark O'Neill told the judge there had been a team of over 20 gardaí assigned to this case since the incident".
He said there had been 425 lines of inquiry with 95 still ongoing, 230 statements taken, 255 exhibits seized and 675 hours of CCTV footage. Inspector O'Neill said the scene was examined by a team of scientists from the Garda Technical Bureau and telephone analysts from the cyber crime unit were involved.
Defence solicitor Donough Molloy said a psychological assessment of the boy was to be carried out in Oberstown detention centre.
The teenager said "all right" when the judge asked him how he was. Judge O'Connor also asked him how was school in the detention centre and the boy said it "finished last week". His parents and grandfather sat close to him during the proceedings and hugged him at the end of the hearing.