Thursday 23 November 2017

Boy (2) died of multiple wounds to his neck, court told

Hassan Khan (2) who was murdered
Hassan Khan (2) who was murdered

Two-year-old Hassan Khan died as a result of “multiple penetrating wounds” to his neck, Dublin Coroner’s Court has heard.

The toddler was found dead in the bedroom of his home at the Ridge Hall Apartments in Ballybrack, south county Dublin, on October 16 last year.

His mother Hazel Waters (46), of the same address, is currently before the courts accused of murdering Hassan at an unknown time between October 15 and 16. Last month at Dublin District Court she was further remanded in custody while the book of evidence is prepared.

At the opening of Hassan’s inquest at Dublin Coroner’s Court, Inspector Tom O’Sullivan of Dun Laoghaire Garda Station confirmed that charges have been laid in the matter. He requested an indefinite adjournment of the inquest until the criminal trial is completed.

Hassan’s father Saleem Khan was in court to give evidence. He told the coroner he identified the body of his son to Garda Padraig Nagle at Tallaght Hospital on the evening of October 17.

Garda Nagle told the inquest he accompanied Mr Khan to the hospital for the purposes of identification.

Speaking from the body of the court, Mr Khan said his son was two years and nine months old when he died.

The post-mortem was carried out at Tallaght Hospital by deputy state pathologist Dr Michael Curtis. Coroner Dr Brian Farrell told the family that he has a full report but would only be giving the cause of death. He warned them that it would be “quite upsetting”, however, Mr Khan, who was supported in court by his niece, declined his offer to leave while the cause of death was being given.

Dr Farrell said that Dr Curtis has given the cause of death as “multiple penetrating wounds to the neck”.

He told the family that he is aware of the circumstances but is not in a position to say anything at the moment until criminal proceedings are completed. He offered sympathies to Mr Khan on behalf of the community.

The inquest was adjourned sine die – or without a day – until the criminal trial is completed.

Online Editors

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News