Boy (15) bought car online for €150 before leading gardaí on high-speed chase
A judge has ordered the arrest of a then 15-year-old Dublin boy who led gardaí on a high speed chase in a car bought online for €150.
The teenager was due to face sentencing at the Dublin Children's Court yesterday/today (fri) but did not turn up. Judge John O'Connor issued a bench warrant for his arrest.
At the teen's earlier hearing, in July, the judge had said the boy, now aged 16, could have killed himself as well as others and there should be an investigation into how he was able to buy the '98-reg Renault Laguna.
The boy pleaded guilty dangerous driving at Benbulben Road in Crumlin, Dublin on the night of January 4 last. He also admitted driving without a licence or insurance and criminal damage to a garda car on the same date.
Garda Nathan Foley said at first it was suspected the car had been stolen when youths were seen pushing it on Cooley Road. The teen then got it started and drove at speed while being pursued by a garda car which had its sirens and lights activated.
Gda Foley said that during the drive, passenger doors opened and two youths tried to get out however they were unable to abandon the car which continued on to Benbulben Road.
The teen pulled sharply to the left and swerved to the right on to a footpath and they attempted to abandon the car again.
He attempted to reverse and the open doors of the Renault hit the front of a garda car causing €1,000 damage.
Judge O'Connor heard this was in in a residential area and there were a number of people present.
Gda Foley agreed with the defence that the car was not stolen and the teens had bought it.
Counsel defending said the teenager left school and hopes to get onto a training course. He has no prior criminal convictions.
He now realises it was foolish and dangerous, the barrister said.
Judge O'Connor had the teen will face a disqualification and has reached the threshold for a custodial sentence. He adjourned the case until yesterday/today (fri) for a probation report on the boy to be prepared.
He said the teenager could have killed himself and others using a car which was not likely to have a NCT. He asked how much the youths paid for the car and the teen quietly replied “€150” adding that he bought it from someone in Clondalkin, “through the internet”. The judge asked him to name the website and the boy replied, “adverts”.
"That should be investigated," the judge said.
The teen also has other charges for possessing three stolen bicycles but has not yet indicated how he will plead in that case.