Tuesday 20 March 2018

Boy (15) awaits sentence for having thousands of euros of stolen goods

Tom Tuite

A 15-YEAR-OLD boy, who was caught with thousands of euros worth of stolen goods including a garden strimmer and a lawnmower, has told a judge he plans to get work cutting grass.

The boy has pleaded guilty at the Children's Court to a litany of offences committed in north Co Dublin, from May 2011 until February this year.

He has owned up to possessing €2,400 worth of stolen goods, on a date in February, at his family's former home.

That seizure included 15 pairs of stolen sunglasses, a sat-nav system, two pairs of binoculars, a mobile phone and a car radio.

He admitted having a stolen sat-nav system in his possession, in north Co. Dublin, on February 4 last.

On the following day he stole a coin holder and €20 from a taxi and he admitted theft of a pair of sunglasses on the same date.

On January 9 last, the young boy stole a bottle of vodka from a supermarket; on May 5 last year he trespassed in a neighbour's shed and stole and electric strimmer and a lawnmower, valued at €350.

The boy also admitted stealing a bicycle on a date last October.

The out-of-school teen, who was accompanied to his hearing by his mother, told Judge Ann Ryan that he planned to get a place on an alternative to mainstream educational course.

The judge noted he had been referred to a mentoring programme by his probation officer.

But a pre-sentence report showed he had continued to “engage in anti-social behaviour”, however, he has no new charges.

A garda told the judge that apart from problems with the boy going to areas from which he had been barred, there has been an improvement in recent months.

Judge Ryan told the boy that he was lucky that the garda was so fair to him and that he could have applied to have the bail revoked, and that request would have been granted.

The teenager said he planned to “cut grass” over the summer; he also explained that he had recently been arrested for handling a stolen iphone, but he explained that it was really “a Chinese import” that belonged to him.

Judge Ryan said he had made some progress and adjourned sentencing the boy, who is on bail, until a date in September.

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News