Boy (14) caught with 20 cannabis deals is released pending creation of plan to help him
THE case of a then 13-year-old boy allegedly caught with 20 deals of cannabis hidden inside an egg has been adjourned pending a meeting involving a range of services to come up with a plan to help him.
The now 14-year-old boy, who had been held in a detention centre on remand for four weeks for psychological and educational assessment to be carried out on him, was released on Wednesday.
His case resumed today at the Dublin Children's Court where Judge Ann Ryan was furnished with the assessment report. She adjourned the case for four weeks for a “multi-disciplinary meeting”, involving social services, the Probation Service and gardai, to devise a plan for the boy.
The teenager, who was accompanied to his case by his mother and a youth worker, was remanded on continuing bail.
Judge Ryan was also told that it was possible that further charges could yet be brought against the young boy.
The boy had already been charged with possessing cannabis with intent to supply to another, on October 31 last, travelling on a stolen motorbike, on December 31 last and driving without insurance and a licence, on April 23, as well as criminal damage to a car and theft from a shop.
Garda Alan Carberry had told the court earlier that it would be alleged that during the drug seizure the boy “was found in possession of an egg shell with suspected cannabis deals”.
He added that 20 deals of cannabis were found hidden in the egg.
During another incident the teenager fled from a car and threw away its keys as garda chased him. It would be alleged that in another incident he was a passenger on a stolen motorbike, the court has heard.
On Wednesday (JULY 4) additional charges were also put to him. These included criminal damage of a car window on a date last August, when he was aged 13, being intoxicated in public and breach of the peace, on a date in February, and possessing a stolen Garda's baton on a date in February 2010, when he was aged 12.
Defence solicitor John Quinn said the boy would be in a position to indicate his pleas to the various charges at his next court appearance.
The teen has been ordered to obey bail conditions and and must obey a curfew at his home from 9pm to 8am and to stay away from some areas in his locality.
Judge Ryan told him today that she understood that it could not have been easy for him to go through the assessments when he was in custody and she added that “you did all your were asked to do”.
The judge also requested a representative from the HSE to attend the proceedings when they resume in August.
The teen spoke briefly during the hearing saying “yes” when asked if he understood his bail conditions and he was then warned he risked going back into custody if he broke them.