| 16.3°C Dublin

Boy (13) admits murder of Irish builder in row

Close

John Barry

John Barry

John Barry

A 13-year-old boy has admitted to the murder of an Irish builder who was stabbed to death during an argument with a gang of youths in London.

The teenager pleaded guilty in the Old Bailey to killing Christopher John Barry (53) at a flats complex in Edmonton, north London in December last year.

The incident happened after a row developed between Mr Barry and a group of youths who were trying to get into a party at another address in the block of flats where he lived.

In court, the youth, who cannot be named because of legal reasons, admitted that he stabbed the builder, who was originally from Cobh, on Sunday, December 14.

The boy's parents, as well as relatives of Mr Barry, who was also known as Jack, were also in court.

Mr Barry had been living in Britain for at least two years prior to his death.

After he was brought into the dock from custody, the 13-year-old spoke to his father before the charge was put to him.

Dressed in a light blue shirt and grey trousers, he pleaded guilty to a single count of murder.

Judge Anthony Morris ordered a pre-sentence report ahead of sentencing on April 10.

At the time of the incident, police said that Mr Barry and the group of youths did not know each other.

The situation had started out as a verbal altercation but had then descended into violence which resulted in the death of the builder.

A post-mortem examination found that he had died as a result of a single stab wound to the chest.

Speaking shortly after his death, Mr Barry's family described him as a "lovely man who will be missed by everybody".

His uncle Noel Barry, who lives in Co Wexford, said: "The whole family is shocked about what has happened, we are all struggling to take it in."

Irish Independent