Tuesday 24 April 2018

‘Black Widow’ Supreme Court appeal bid temporarily struck from list

Catherine Nevin. Photo: Collins
Catherine Nevin. Photo: Collins

Brian Kavanagh

A BID by Catherine Nevin to take an appeal against her conviction for murder to the Supreme Court has been struck from the court list until the Court of Criminal Appeal receives word the matter is ready to proceed.

Nevin is seeking to bring her case before the Supreme Court on the basis that it raises points of law of exceptional public importance and that it is in the public interest that these should be decided on by the Supreme Court.

In 2000 she was jailed for life having been convicted of murdering her husband Tom Nevin at their pub, Jack White’s Inn, near Brittas Bay, Co Wicklow, on March 19th 1996. She also received a seven year sentence for soliciting three men to kill her husband in 1989 and 1990.

The 61-year-old, who has always denied any involvement in the murder, lost an appeal against her conviction in 2003.

Counsel for the DPP, Mr Sean Gillane SC, this morning told the appeal court that the matter had been entered on the list to fix dates as there had been an undertaking to file submissions on the basis the case should be afforded priority.

Lawyers for Nevin said that submissions had not been prepared and were a “work in progress”, adding that it was their understanding the undertaking to file submissions was contingent on the case being given priority.

Presiding judge Mr Justice Adrian Hardiman said that the matter would be struck from the list but could be re-entered upon receipt of an affidavit stating the submissions have been filed and that the case is ready to proceed.

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News