Banker David Drumm set for a further week in custody
Fugitive banker David Drumm will spend at least another eleven days in custody after a hearing on his detention was postponed until October 26.
The postponement was applied for today by the former Anglo Irish Bank chief executive’s lawyer Tracy Miner.
Irish authorities have sought Mr Drumm’s extradition to face 33 charges, dating from his time at the helm of the bank, which was nationalised at a cost of €29bn to the taxpayer.
Mr Drumm’s legal team had been scheduled to make arguments for his release on bail at a hearing tomorrow.
However, in a submission to the United States District Court in Boston, Ms Miner sought to have that hearing re-set.
She said she needed “time to develop factual support for special circumstances warranting [Mr Drumm’s] release”.
Ms Miner said this included obtaining information from lawyers in Ireland.
Judge Donald Cabell agreed to re-set the hearing for 2pm local time on Monday week.
The decision means Mr Drumm will remain in custody, where he has been since his arrest by US marshals on Saturday afternoon.
The 48-year-old is facing 33 criminal charges, including counts of false reporting, giving unlawful financial assistance, forgery, being privy to the falsification of documents, and conspiracy to defraud.
Mr Drumm previously appeared in court on Wednesday, arriving at the hearing in ankle shackles and handcuffs.
Ms Miner told the judge she wants to examine whether the request to extradite him was for a “political purpose”.