Tuesday 11 December 2018

Bandaged accused in court charged with pub raid thwarted by customers

Derek Foran
Derek Foran
Andrew Phelan

Andrew Phelan

An injured man has been charged following an attempted robbery at a Dublin pub that ended when the alleged raider was tackled by customers.

Derek Foran (33) appeared in court with heavy bruising to his face and a bandaged head and fingers after he was arrested at The Speaker Conolly Pub in Firhouse on New Year's Day. Judge John King granted him bail but remanded him in custody until he is able to take it up.

Mr Foran, a father of one from Allenton Avenue in Tallaght, is charged with attempting to rob Jason Doyle, the pub's acting manager. The accused had two black eyes when he was brought before Dublin District Court yesterday. He had two fractured ribs, a fractured finger and received 30 stitches to his head, the court heard.

Garda James Ward told Judge King he arrested Mr Foran at The Speaker Conolly Pub at 11.40pm on January 1.

He was brought to Tallaght Garda station, where he was charged at 8.08pm on Tuesday.

Objecting to bail, Garda Ward cited the seriousness of the charge. He told Judge King he had concerns the accused would not turn up in court and would interfere with prospective witnesses. Judge King said he did not believe the garda's objections were very strong and granted bail. He said there was a "very serious charge here", but Mr Foran enjoyed a presumption of innocence.

Defence barrister John Griffin said Mr Foran was living with his mother in Tallaght. He said gardaí appeared to be happy with his identity and where he lived.

The judge set bail in the accused's own bond of €300, with no cash required. However, he did require an independent surety of €1,000, half of which is to be lodged in cash.

Conditions are that he resides at his homes address, observes a curfew between 10pm and 6am, signs on daily at Tallaght Garda station and has no contact, directly or indirectly with witnesses. He is also to stay out of the Firhouse area at all times.

Mr Griffin said the accused had two fractured ribs, a fractured finger and had received 30 stitches to his head. He had appointments at Tallaght Hospital and the Eye and Ear Hospital this week. The judge made a recommendation to the prison governor that the accused receive all necessary medical treatment.

He remanded Mr Foran in custody with consent to bail, to appear in Cloverhill District Court on January 9. He granted free legal aid after Mr Griffin said Mr Foran was unemployed.

Irish Independent

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News